Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Top Talent For Halloween Horror Challenge.

Good morning everyone. Julia here bringing you another Top Talent post. Today our hugely creative guest is:

Lynn was the very worthy winner chosen by Laura for Halloween Horror Challenge - she produced a wonderfully scary piece which wowed us all!

Let's find out a little more about Lynn before we check out her gorgeous creation made just for us:

1.  Where do you live?   
I live in Connecticut, on the north east coast of the US.  I hail from the American Southwest, though, and am planning to move to the north west coast to join my family when I retire from University teaching in a few years.

2.  How would you describe your style of art?
Eclectic.  I have no formal training, but am drawn to many different styles - due to color, pattern, texture, emotional reaction..... so I dabble all over the place!

3.  Which craft supply would you not want to be without?
Well, given the state of my space (in my living room) I'd say I cannot do without any of them!  But probably paper and texture paste would be my go to.... and then need some color in there somehow!

4.  Who is your favorite stamp designer/manufacturer?
This is hard to answer, as I also have a lot of stamps!  I love PaperArtsy for the variety of designs and the fact that Lynne Perrella designs for them.  I also love Penny Black's wonderful collection of nature stamps - things like trees and branches with incredible detail.

5.  Name one artist/crafter who inspires you.
I am inspired by virtually everything I see in mixed media blog land - but in looking over my own blog the past year since I started, I call out Alison Bomber, aka Butterfly, frequently.  I could also name Andy Skinner, Lynne Perrella, Brenda Brown (who got me doing this regularly with her Visual Journal series this year), Pamellia Johnson, Anne Redfern, Lynne Moncrieff, Linda Coughlin, Astrid Maclean, Diana Taylor, Sara Barker.....there are a lot of talented people out there!

6.  Do you have a specific goal that you would like to achieve with your art?
When I make a piece, I strive to please myself first.  Many times I doubt, as my style is all over the place, and often not what I see others doing.  I came to mixed media from art quilting, and have no background in card making or in scrap booking, plus I am pretty new to all of what is possible with paper and media...that is why my blog is called "Experiments in Paper" - I truly am learning as I go!

Lynn, it's always so interesting reading about our guests and you are no exception! I too am a huge Lynne Perrella fan and you have named some truly inspiring artists in your answer to question 5. I imagine that many of will identify with your answer to question 6: 'Many times I doubt. . . . . . . ' this sounds so familiar to me!!

Lynn has produced a beautiful piece for us so here's what she has to say:

'I was thrilled to get the news that I would be a Guest Designer at Our Creative Corner this month!    I've made a little "Gratitude" journal.... this time of year gets me thinking in that direction usually, and given all the world events over the past year, this will be my "word of the year" for 2016.'





What a lovely journal Lynn and such a good idea for the coming new year. I love the splash of colour on the band which holds the journal closed. The gorgeous stamping inside is wonderfully grungy/distressed - right up my street! Thank you so much Lynn for joining us today and sharing your art. I do hope people will find time to pop over to see Lynn at Experiments In Paper - you won't be disappointed!

That's the last Top Talent for 2015 but I'll be back in January with the winner of our November challenge so don't forget to join us on the 22nd January 2016 - seems strange writing that now!

Our December challenge is still up and running so if you find yourself with some free time (joke!!!) then why not put an entry together and link up with us. All the details can be found here. The challenge runs until Monday 28th December so there's still time!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the lovely artists I've had contact with through the Top Talent spot over the last few months.  It is a joy to communicate with like minded people and share their work and thoughts with you all.

So there's just time to wish Merry Christmas to all who celebrate at this time of year and a happy, healthy and peaceful 2016 when it arrives. 

Juliaxx




5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - this is wonderful. I love gratitude journals. You know - when you are a bit down and need a pick-up... one of the best ways ever is to go back and look at your gratitude journal. Even when there are challenges in our lives - we still have so so so so so much to be thankful for. This is just a SUPER FINE project Lynn and I sooooo loved reading about you too!! Merry Christmas and huge blessings to you in 2016!! j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, how wonderful to learn a little bit more about you, and to see you here as Top Talent! This is so well deserved, as you really are a top talent! I had a chuckle at "sometimes I doubt"; so nice of you to drop into my world! I have to say I am blushing that you mentioned my name as someone who inspires you! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I think that just made 2015 complete for me!

    Lynn'e Gratitude journal is beautiful and I'm sure it will fill up in no time with positive thoughts and proclamations. I love the blues and bold lettering. I'm off for a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn is such a fun and diverse artist. She is also such a sweet and classy lady! Happy to see her showcased here and what an amazing design! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Experiments in paper is one of my most favorite blogs!!!!! Congratulations Julia - I do love your makes!!
    Merry Christmas Kid!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very creative journal, Lynn! Thanks for sharing your art with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx